Serving Size: 6-8
1/4 pound salt pork
1 frying chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
6 large, fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
20 okra pods (or a 10-ounce package frozen okra, thawed), sliced
1 bay leaf
1 hot red pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
3 parsley sprigs, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked white rice
- Wash salt pork under cold water to rinse off excess salt. Pat dry and cut into small dices.
- Place in a large, heavy soup pot and cook over low heat until all fat has been rendered. Remove crisped pork dice and drain on paper toweling. Set aside.
- Pat dry chicken pieces with paper towel. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and dredge lightly with flour. Press flour into each piece, then shake off all excess. Heat pork fat to almost smoking. Brown the floured chicken pieces a few at a time in the hot fat. Remove as browned and set aside.
- Pour off and discard fat. Add butter to soup pot and place over low heat. When melted, add onion and okra and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until onion is soft. Be careful not to let okra scorch.
- Return chicken to pot. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, hot pepper and parsley. Pour in 3 cups water. Season gumbo to taste with salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, adding additional water if needed. Remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. Remove skin and bone from chicken pieces and return meat to pot. Reheat if necessary.
- Ladle into large soup bowls over mounds of just-cooked, fluffy white rice. Sprinkle crisped pork dice over each serving.
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
This thick, tasty stew is made with chicken pieces, sausage, onions, green peppers and celery. Chicken and sausage gumbo is...
- Classic Cajun Chicken Gumbo
This classic Cajun chicken gumbo is made with chicken, tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, bell pepper, onion, herbs and seasonings....
- Crockpot Chicken And Sausage Gumbo
Here it's a gumbo recipe to make in your slow cooker containing chicken breasts, smoked sausage, okra, onion, bell pepper,...
- Chicken Gumbo
This chicken gumbo recipe is prepared with chicken breasts, fresh okra, bell pepper, celery tomatoes and seasonings. A delicious stew...
- Brazilian-Style Chicken with Okra
Chicken with Okra (Frango com quiabo) is a typical and popular dish from Minas Gerais, a southeastern state of Brazil....